Getting Walk-In Help
The StatLab offers convenient Walk-In Help sessions at multiple locations across
the campus. Before you come for a Walk-In Help session, take a few minutes to
There are four simple steps.
1. Read about the service
2. Find a consultant
3. Find a time
4. Get ready
How do Walk-In Help sessions work?
We work to make the service as accessible and valuable as possible.
- There is no fee for the service
- Everyone affiliated with Yale University is welcome
- Appointments aren't necessary, we help on a walk-in basis
- We can provide basic information like recommending a consultant over the
phone, but our consultations are only provided in-person
- We welcome you to use as many sessions as needed, but our team may limit the
amount of time we work with you on a specific day if others are waiting
- The sessions are active two-way conversations, you'll need to work with our
consultants as we develop solutions
The best sessions are driven by your questions. We've got some suggestions on
how to get ready for a session. Here are examples of questions you
might ask us.
- How do I import this dataset into SPSS?
- Which tool is the best to learn for complex web scraping?
- What does this error message in R mean?
- How do I visualize these data?
- How can I create lagged variables in Stata?
- What type of regression model is appropriate for my data?
- How do I know if my machine learning model is any good?
Even when questions don't have a single "right" answer, that's okay. We'll do
our best to help you understand the options you have.
When aren't Walk-In Help Sessions recommended?
Walk-In Help sessions aren't always the best resource for your problem.